[Dixielandjazz] Re: Help ID Crosby band personnel

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat May 21 17:31:10 PDT 2005

> Here it is as an attachment.
>
> Don
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bill Haesler [mailto:bhaesler at bigpond.net.au]
Dear Don,
Thank you for the attachment photograph.
A much better size to 'play' with.
I started by using a process of elimination.
Who was in the band and when, so as to establish its date based on the
recording personnel.
But came up with a puzzle.
Charlie Spivak joined the band in Nov 1937, but Gil Bowers had left before
then (1936) and Andy Feretti had left in Feb 1937.
Warren Smith had joined in early 1937, so could therefore have been one of
the unknowns.
While looking for photographs of Warren Smith in 'Black Beauty, White Heat'
(Frank Driggs & Harris Lewine) I found your photograph!
It was taken in 1936 at the Hotel Lexington.
Using the identification given in the book we therefore have:

Front row: Nappy Lamare; Mark Bennett, tb; Matty Matlock, Bob Crosby, Gil
Rodin, Eddie Miller, Andy Feretti.

Back row: Ward Silloway, Gil Bowers, Bob Haggart,
Yank Lawson, Eddie Bergman, vn; Ray Bauduc, Noni Bernadi, as.

Very kind regards,
Bill.