[Dixielandjazz] Jazz goes to College --- High School and CollegeMusic Students

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sat May 21 15:01:17 PDT 2005

A few years ago I had the occasion to compare two styles of teaching.  One
was at a college prep Jesuit school.  Their jazz band had the tightest
section work out of a HS that I had ever heard and at the same time the most
pitiful solos you could imagine.  These were all college prep kids.  The
second school also a Catholic HS had a Jazzer for a band director.  (Joe
Bosie)  Joe plays Vibes and Trumpet very well. Their section work was really
not up to snuff but the solos were magnificent.  The young guy that played
tenor (Mike Fernandez) later joined the AF band with me and eventually blew
me away.  What a talent.  Band directors have a lot of influence on their
kids.

I think that the only way that you can learn jazz is by doing it and I think
that the 5 piece group is optimum.  The reason I say that is with two horns
you learn to make arrangements on the fly and you learn how to harmonize and
play background against the melody.

I think that being able to make arrangements on the fly is every bit as
important as being able to improvise well.  The only way that a young person
can learn how is by doing it.  I play with some pretty good musicians that
don't have a clue in this area.

Larry Walton
St. Louis