[Dixielandjazz] How Could I Forget this tubaman?

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu May 19 13:27:25 PDT 2005

BudTuba at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 5/17/05 4:35:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>dingle at baldwin-net.com writes:
>
>How  could I have forgotten my dear, dear friend and fellow Jazz Ltd.band
>mate,  the late Quinn Wilson. Quinn played both sousaphone and stand up
>string  bass and both very, very well. Quinn, at the young age of 16,
>recorded  with Jelly Roll Morton Red Hot Peppers in Chicago. Later he
>worked for  many years with Earl "Fatha" Hines in Chicago at the Club
>DeLise and other  clubs..<
>

>I remember visiting Jazz Limited in Chicago in the 1970's and hearing Quinn
>with the house band.  He was a very nice fellow and on that night was
>complaining of angina pains.  Apparently, he knew he had a bad heart, but  played
>right through it.  Is he still around?  He also played with  Tiny Parham's Band
>in the 1920's.  There was some very energetic tuba  playing on those
>arrangements.
>

>Roy (Bud) Taylor
>Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band
>"...we ain't just  whistlling dixie!"

Quinn died not too long after your visit. In the end it was the big C
that got him, but he did have some heart problems as well.
Wonderful player and the most gentle and friendly man I ever worked
with. I still miss "Quinnella" as Ruth Reinhardt, the co-oner of Jazz
LTd. called him.
I was a time of great music made with some top players and I was lucky
to be good enough to make five years with them at that venerable Chicago
jazz joint.
Glad you got there to experience it since is closed in late '72.
Don Ingle