[Dixielandjazz] Re: 'T Ain't No Sin

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu May 19 06:34:53 PDT 2005

Bill Haesler wrote:

>Dear Andy,
>Sorry, forgot this.
>No lead sheet, but here are the chords.
>Kind regards,
>Bill.
>PS: Call up Google and search for "Tain't No Sin".
>Lot's of info there.
>
>'Tain't No Sin
>(To Dance Around In Your Bones)
>Words by Walter Donaldson, Music by Edgar Leslie - 1929
>
>Verse:
> G         Em7    Am7      D7     G         Em7    Am7      D7
> G         Em7    Am7      D7     G         Em7    Am7      D7
> G         Em7    Am7      D7     G         Em7    Am7      D7
> G         Em7    Am7      D7     G    G7
>
>Chorus:
>Am       Am7    B7       Bdim    E7    A7
>D7    -    Dm7      G7    C
>Am       Am7    B7       Bdim    E7    A7
>D7    -    Dm7      G7    C
>Em    C7    Em    C7
>G           D7    G           D7    G           Eb7    G7
>Am       Am7    B7       Bdim    E7    A7
>D7    -    Dm7      G7    C     (repeat)
>
>8-beat intro.  Play 4-beats for each cell, reading from left to right.

Bill: I believe you have your composer/lyricist reserved. Donaldson
wrote the music, Leslie the words. While Donaldson sometimes wrote
lyrics, they were for hsi own tunes. He did work with some top
wordsmiths -- his favorite was Gus Kahn, but Mercer and others often
supplied the words.
We recorded "Tain't no Sin" with the Michigan Nighthawks, and I wrote
the chart. I have the Walter Donaldson Song book with the best of his work.
By the way, he was a twin: His"My Buddy " is often thought of as being a
WW I song, but in fact it was written after that war and was dedicated
to a girl he was to marry but who had died. In a big funk over that he
stopped writing until Gus Kahn got him to come to Chicago and work with
him there for a period of time. Resulting as it was on some of his best
stuff.
As a big booster of his work, I wrote over 20 charts for the band on his
jazz age tunes, plus a few ballads. One beaitiful and seldom played tune
is Clouds.
Another great jazz ager is Changes. And on it goes...!
Don Ingle