[Dixielandjazz] Kansas City

Len Nielsen lennielsen at telus.net
Mon May 16 21:40:18 PDT 2005

Luis Flores wrote

<I just sow KANSAS CITY  the movie. I like it, the best was the last tune ´´
Solitude´´ by two string bassist and one clarinet...who were they?
Luis>

Luis

I have a video tape of "Robert Altman's Jazz '34" as described in part
below. I enjoy this so much that I watch/listen to it often. I like the
big group jam with the 2 trumpets and the cornet. One uses a plunger
mute, another an empty beer pitcher and the 3rd a bowler hat. Great
stuff. Also, the cutting contest between the 2 tenor saxes.

The 2 basses with the high reedy sounding clarinet is a really effective
ending, right into the credits. I have had people who don't usually
listen to this kind of music say to me "What is the name of that tune?"
Even new comers to the music can recognize "Solitude" as one of the all
time classics.

Len Nielsen

Robert Altman's Jazz '34: Remembrances of Kansas City Swing
(1996)
Minor but pleasurable, and the best thing to come out of Altman's
feature "Kansas City." The title is misleading: this is not a
documentary but, rather, a musical reminiscence. Altman plunks a group
of today's players into a sepia re-creation of K.C.'s all-night café
life and sets them jamming. Performers such as bassist Ron Carter,
clarinettist Don Byron, and tenor-sax men James Carter, Craig Handy,
David Murray, and Joshua Redman relax into their period garb and, as
adoring women shimmy around them, take on a happy, sensual glow. And the
music is smokin'.
— Michael Sragow