[Dixielandjazz] Re: Female Drummers

Patrick Cooke amazingbass at cox.net
Fri May 13 06:35:18 PDT 2005

Charlie Suhor wrote:

>Lots of masculine pronouns in the talk about smart >drummers--but how
>about Terri Lynn Carrington, Sheila E., and of course >Evelyn Glenny,
>who is so smart she can play drums though quiet deaf. >Her work on
>Bartok's "Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion" >would be damn near
>miraculous if she had perfect hearing! For another smarty there's Layne
>Redmond, frame drummer, scary scholar, and true babe, who wrote "When
>Women Were Drummers."

     I remember seeing a female drummer in Miami years ago.....I think her
name was Kitty Kelly.  When I came into the club, there was no one on the
stand.  There was a full set of drums on the stand...not the cocktail set I
had expected to see.  Then a verrry pretty girl came in wearing a long
narrow skirt that allowed her to take 6-inch steps.  I thought "This can't
be her, she could never play in that tight skirt."  When she got up to the
stand, she reached down to the floor and grabbed a zipper , and zipped the
skirt open all the way to her waist!  She straddled the snare like a real
drummer (as opposed to a cocktail drummer) and kicked off the first tune.  I
don't remember the tune, but she was a good drummer, and I'll never forget
that zipper!
   Pat Cooke

.