[Dixielandjazz] Three mre for the tuba list

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed May 11 14:46:58 PDT 2005

More on tuba pickers.
I came across a copy of a cassette of the Chicago Salty Dogs playing in
Muskegon, MI on a date when I subbed on trombone.
On that date was one of the best tuba players I ever worked with, Chris
Stind. I had heard hom with a group at aBix Festival some year ago, but
working with him was not just fuin, it was inspriing. Had Wayne Jones,
John Cooper and Jack Kuncl in this section and they all jelled so
marvelously that it made my evening go by no sweat -- even though I was
called at thelast minute to sub and had not been playing the bastard
trombone for sometime. (That was what another tombonist called my Conn
valve trombone, but it got me gigs when the cornet didnt,)
So chalk up Chris Stind as one tp flight tuba man, and hpe that you
might get to work with hom some day.
I .can say much the same for "Wallbanger" -- Mike Wallbridge, also a
Salty Dog most of the time.
Then there is the West Coast player that worked once with the Sons of
Bix in place of our usual bass sax. The tuba work of Pete Kier is to be
much admired. He is another iron chops guys that get a good sound, had
melodic flow in solos and drive when needed onensembles.
There, my tuba loving firends, is my trio of additions to the list of
good players of the blow bass world.
Don Ingle