[Dixielandjazz] Music in Nursing Homes

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue May 10 20:00:36 PDT 2005

on 5/10/05 10:47 PM, TCASHWIGG at aol.com at TCASHWIGG at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 5/10/05 5:56:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
baglady4 at juno.com writes:

I have witnessed incredible communication with the precious residents
because of the music.  From comotose to communication.  Sometimes the
resident will remain in a cognitive state for a period of time even after
the music has ended.

I always tell the family to stay for the music presentations, because they
will get their loved one back for at least the hour or so that the music is
playing.  We play OKOM, big band and songs from the 20's, 30's, and 40s and
some show tunes.

Some family members bring old 78's into their loved one's room to play..
and they enjoy communication with their mother, father, aunt, grandmother
for as long as the music is playing.

It's a pity the nursing homes don't have a budget for this all important
entertainment/therapy!!!!!

Nancie Beaven
Tom Wiggins wrote (polite snip).

Snip>"I know folks who have a big money project using horseback riding as
therapy for Downs syndrome patients and they do exhibitions at major
Equestrian Shows all over the country and the people enrolled in those
programs are generating BIG Dollars for the operators of the program."

"Steve Barbone you know the horse folks, bet you could find out about that
program quickly." <end snip

Barbone Answers:

Yes, I certainly do. We have one local facility (Thorncroft) that uses
horses for Downs Syndrome patients quite successfully. When the afflicted
ride, a transformation occurs.

We also have a local group called "Driving For The Disabled" which uses
horses and carriages therapeutically for various disabilities. Similar
results, especially when they hold their own competitive events.

However, most horse owners have their own problems. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone