[Dixielandjazz] Successful school jazz program-not modern jazz

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun May 8 23:35:41 PDT 2005

Hello, Listmates,

We've been writing about the fact that school-based programs lacking
interest in early jazz--that there's little actual teaching of playing
non-modern jazz, just treatment of it in jazz history programs. I
mentioned that early jazz styles, like blues and country and Western
and rock & roll, aren't in the curriculum because they aren't regarded
by most educational leaders as high art but as folk or popular music.

The view is that these kinds of music are pursued by hobbyists and a
few specialized professionals who learn the music via popular culture,
outside of school contexts. Of course, that was also the view of big
band and modern jazz until it was grudgingly and gradually brought into
school programs in acknowledgment of its complexity and teachability in
academic terms of chord-based improvisation, reading skill, and speed,
range, and other technical aspects.

There is an interesting breakthrough in the teaching of the
once-anathema blues music in Alabama schools. It has been going on for
quite a while, apparently with good results and recognition. I know
that several listmates have done good things in schools, and maybe this
will give some ideas about grants and further "infiltration," if that's
a good word for it. Visit the website of the highly successful Alabama
Blues Project at http://www.alabamablues.org/state.htm

It seems  to me that the Ala. group had a good handle to get the thing
funded, namely, the strong blues tradition in the state's history--a
cultural foot-in-the-door. But notice this: the whole program is not
curricular, but after-school. It's not accorded the value of credit
courses, and apparently it's not in the colleges at all. Half empty,
half full in a very small glass, but it's an interesting model that
might be expanded there and applied to other kinds of music in
different places.

I personally feel that teaching of early jazz styles should have
greater priority in school programs than other musics that haven't made
it into Academe.

Charlie Suhor