[Dixielandjazz] Playing in Nursing Homes/Assisted Living etc.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun May 8 16:16:55 PDT 2005

"Janie McCue Lynch" <janie51 at socal.rr.com> wrote (polite snip)

> Gus, what a great letter and such a good thought about your performances
> often being the highlight of a long term care facility resident's month.
> Music has an impact on so many, many of us.
>
> One gentleman in particular wouldn't respond to me no matter what I
> said...until

Right on Janie. We play at several Assisted Living/Nursing Home facilities
on a donation basis every December. Usually a quartet. They are freebies to
the facilities, though I pay the sidemen $50 each for an hour.

Most memorable?

An elderly gentleman had not uttered a word for several years, so the chief
nurse told me. He just sat and stared. We play familiar tunes at these
events and started on "My Blue Heaven". Somehow that made a connection and
the old guy started to sing it. He sang it perfectly.

Very moving experience. The more of them we play, the more we find out that
music makes a connection to these people, when mere words or actions do not.

Our band is very much uplifted at these, even when we might be playing for
just 20 people in wheel chairs, roller beds, etc. They don't demonstrate
much, but you can see the gratitude in their eyes and when a familiar face
is there a year later, you can see the happy recognition at our arrival.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone