[Dixielandjazz] Jazz & Poetry--the 50s

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun May 8 12:26:00 PDT 2005

On May 8, 2005, at 2:03 PM, Jim Kashishian wrote:

> This Beatnik era talk brings back memories of my "coffe house" days.
> The
> early-on South Frisco Jazz Band played at the Rouge Et Noir coffee
> house in
> Seal Beach, California in the late '50's.  We thought, at the time,
> that it
> was a laugh to have a young 6 piece jazz band blasting away in a coffee
> house instead of the usual bass & poet act.
>
> It was extremely successful.  We were 3 doors up Main Street from the
> ocean,
> and this beach town rocked on the 4 nights a week we played.  The gig
> lasted
> a good while, and we developed into a fairly tight group during that
> period.
>

> No booze in the joint, which was good 'cause some of us were underage.
>  It
> wasn't until we moved to the Costa Mesa "Honeybucket" bar that the
> coppers
> checked my ID & that was the end of my time with the band...from
> conception
> in 1955 to 1960.
>
> After that, the Air Force Bands, Madrid, etc.
>
> Jim

You were there in the beginnings, for sure. Those of us who were
underage and lucky in those days didn't fall into the drug scene and
had access to some special musical and cultural experiences with little
fear of being carded. By the time that police and club owners got to
checking ID's I was well into my 30s.

Charlie