FW: [Dixielandjazz] Jazz & Poetry--the 50s

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun May 8 12:03:44 PDT 2005

This Beatnik era talk brings back memories of my "coffe house" days.  The
early-on South Frisco Jazz Band played at the Rouge Et Noir coffee house in
Seal Beach, California in the late '50's.  We thought, at the time, that it
was a laugh to have a young 6 piece jazz band blasting away in a coffee
house instead of the usual bass & poet act.

It was extremely successful.  We were 3 doors up Main Street from the ocean,
and this beach town rocked on the 4 nights a week we played.  The gig lasted
a good while, and we developed into a fairly tight group during that period.

No booze in the joint, which was good 'cause some of us were underage.  It
wasn't until we moved to the Costa Mesa "Honeybucket" bar that the coppers
checked my ID & that was the end of my time with the band...from conception
in 1955 to 1960.

After that, the Air Force Bands, Madrid, etc.

Jim