[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 29, Issue 16

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat May 7 21:19:45 PDT 2005

TCASHWIGG at aol.com wrote (polite snip)

> You guys back East must have some pretty big Retirement homes with lots of
> wealthy folks living in them to pay that kind of money.

> The larger retirement community homes that are more like apartments still do
> not pay much above $300.00 and most have an entertainment/activities director
> making more money than what they pay out for entertainment all year long. :))
> The more Free entreatment the director can suck in the longer he/she keeps
> their job.

There are MANY retirement "complexes" that can well afford a Dixieland Band,
all over the United States.

They are called Continuing Care Retirement Communities. (CCRC's) Typically
the ones band leaders should target are:

1) Apartments, or Cottages, or Attached Homes.

2) Vary in size from 250 units to 2000+ units. Pop could be 3500 people. A
   select few consist of even larger complexes.

3) Have all sorts of amenities. Pool, Tennis, Clubhouse etc.

4) Provide GUARANTEED MEDICAL CARE and a transfer to Assisted Living if the
   people become incapacitated.

5) Have monthly entertainment budgets of anywhere from $1200 to $5000, (and
   more for New Year's Eve)

6) Maintain an Activities Director for social events (Dixieland Bands) as
   well as trips etc.

HOW CAN THEY DO THIS? . . . EASY, BECAUSE MOST;

1)  Have an "entry fee" exceeding $100,000 which gets you a unit to live in,
    on a rental basis, that is. (Much higher if a big unit)

2)  Charge a monthly rate of somewhere between $3000 & $5000 per person
    which gets you meals in the dining room.

3)  And when the person dies, THERE IS NO REFUND. THE NEXT PERSON GETS
    YOUR UNIT FOR HIS/HER $100,000+.

The kicker is that in many with the smaller activities budgets, there is a
"Resident's Association" that contributes towards entertainment also. So,
sometimes a $1000 fee will be paid in two checks, $500 from the complex and
$500 from the Assn.

Bottom line? The newer ones are at the upscale end. They guarantee that
residents will have medical care no matter what, and somebody to take care
of them no matter what, from the time they enter till the day they die.
So, if your kids are ungrateful, just spend their inheritance here:

http://www.shannondell.com/index.htm

Check out this one to get an idea. AND DIG THE MUSIC ON THE HOME PAGE, then
surf the site. (We gig here 4 times a year as well as on New Year's Eve)

If they dig your music, they will pay for it. :-) VBG.

THIS MARKET SEGMENT IS IMMENSE AND GROWING EVERY DAY AS THE POPULATION OF
THE USA AGES. So, good people, go forth and satisfy their demand for the
kind of music you play. What the hell are you waiting for?

YCDBSOYA (You Can't Do Business Sitting On Your Ass)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone