[Dixielandjazz] Jazz & Poetry - Redux

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat May 7 09:08:54 PDT 2005

I like the idea of scoring jazz around Cervantes. Sorry it didn't come
off. Give them credit for an imaginative failure, if Ratliff's comments
are really on target. BTW, 5.000 words from "Don Quixote" is a minute
sample. It's written in two thick volumes, only one of which contains
the famous episodes we know.

For live jazz and poetry in New York, with improvised jazz (my
preference, when done well), see the attachment that came in today from
the excellent Barry Wallenstein--and note the great players in the
combo.

I'll be doing a J&P called "Roots and Wings" next month for the
Birmingham, AL, Artburst program. My colleague E-K Daufin will
celebrate her black heritage and do an interpretive dance to Papa
Celestin's "Marie Laveau." I'll do poems about my N.O. roots and my
grandfather Antun, a Croatian runaway who married a French girl
(proposed on the Desire streetcar), became a riverboat captain and Bar
Pilot, and died aboard ship in 1904 at age 42. You've gotta die, so
it's a break if you can do it with a flair. We'll accompany each other
and have jazz guitarist Bobby Morgan on the program.

Charlie Suhor