[Dixielandjazz] Re: Musicians Faking In Movies

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri May 6 14:10:46 PDT 2005

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org wrote regarding the film, "The Gig:"

(snip)
I was a bit surprised to see Allen Vache', who was both the cornet player in
the movie and the music director of the film, when his fingerings didn't
match the notes. Then I thought about it a while. They often do a number
of takes of a scene, and could well have used cuts from different takes to
make up the total scene  as it wound up in the movie, accounting for the
differences.
(snip)

Dick, It was Warren Vache Jr., not his brother Allan.

However, you are absolutely correct.  The film editor was not about to take
the time to match up Warren's fingerings with the music.  Not only that, Bob
Barnard did some of the trumpet work on the film as Warren was sick.

I mentioned once before that in a commercial that I did playing banjo, the
slide up the neck for the last chord did not match my hands at all.

 In this case, I was actually doing the playing.  However, when a musician
is called in to simulate playing on film, it is called sidelining.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Placerville, CA USA

"There are three kinds of men:
The ones that learn by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for
themselves."
--William Penn Adair (Will) Rogers B: 11/4/1879 D: 8/15/1935