[Dixielandjazz] Tony Bennett at the Sonoma Jazz & Wine Festival

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu May 5 10:11:30 PDT 2005

mike at michaelcryer.com writes:

> I have really been getting into Tony Bennett a lot lately. I like his
> style and he has a great personality. Sinatra really wasn't a nice guy
> most times.
>
> Mike

I think the difference between Bennett and Sinatra was very similar to that
of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis.  Personality wise.  Or Sammy Davis Jr. & Don
Rickels.
Or how about Louis Armstrong and Miles Davis ?

 However they all found their specific audience and played to them.

And I might add not a lot different from the personalities of many other Jazz
greats or entertainers off camera.  We are indeed a complex lot who often
approach life from separate routes.  Some with niceness and kindness and audience
appreciation with an understanding that without them and being able to make
them happy, we have little hope of being happy ourselves.  Then there are
others with bitterness and malice towards audiences who eventually end up feeling
unloved and or under appreciated and or worse yet simply ignored and
frustrated.

Audience Respect and loyalty is something you Earn it is not a Constitutional
right for all artists just because you play or sing or dance well.  Without
an audience to expose it to and appreciate it "it don't mean a thing even if it
swings"

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

I too like Tony Bennett, but then again I always have.  A Class act if there
ever was one.