[Dixielandjazz] An old friend makes a quick TV appearence

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu May 5 06:56:04 PDT 2005

The NBC Today show has John Williams on as an interviewee, talkng about
his latest Star Wars scoring and other film composer credits. In an
overview of hsi life ther was a quick pic of him as a very youong lad
and then one also very quick shot of him as a high shcooler at thepiano.
It passed in a  link, but the secondshot also showed hm with a young,
very handsome looking band mate next to him -- dark hair and playing a
Conn victor Cornet. I know it is a Conn Victor since it was my horn, and
lo -- it t'were me playing it.
Not shown in that very cropped picture was the other member of our high
school jazz band -- Gene Estes, Perry "Bunny" Botkin, Jr., Mel Pollan,
and John Bambridge.
In my household, John's success if veiwed as deserved and no on is
happier to see him honored as the Ingles.
When some of us were spending as much time playing etudes and Hannon and
working with teachers to reach the level he now owns. The word practice
has real eaning and result, and John Williams is the model for that.
However, for the record, his high shcool nick-name was "Curly" for his
curly red hair. If his music had advanced over time, his hairline has
retreated.
But what a neat peek, if only for a quick few sound bites, of an old
firend, for whom success was earned the old fahsioned way...he worked
for it.
Don (dubbed "Ding" in those halcyon days of youth) Ingle