[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tony Bennett -- Sacramento Jazz Jubilee

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed May 4 23:27:14 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <TCASHWIGG at aol.com>
To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Tony Bennett at the Sonoma Jazz & Wine Festival

> In a message dated 5/4/05 10:27:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> robert at ringwald.com writes:
>

>> We have had Anita O'Day as our headliner for the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee.
>>
>> And Nellie Lutcher at our monthly concert.  I wonder if she is still
>> alive
>> &/or still entertaining.  She was ABSOLUTELY GREAT! the time we had her
>> as
>> guest.
>>
>> --Bob Ringwald
>>

> Well, then it was before my time I suppose, but that still begs the
> question
> of Why is she not still being brought in?

I don't know but I will find out.

> She is certainly a MUCH Bigger Star
> Attraction than Maria Muldaur, who is a fine singer but certainly NO Anita
> O'Day.   And the old idea of We can't Afford her is pure poppycock, she
> draws
> hard ticket buyers far beyond her fees, if she did not she would not
> continue to
> play the same high class venues.

We can afford her.

In fact, I think we could afford Bennett, Krall, Konig, etc.  We might have
to make it a separate ticket but they all seem to sell out where ever they
perform.

In Feb, Harry Konig sold out Sacramento on a Tue night.

> Yes, Nellie is still alive and well and living in Los Angeles.
>
> Funny thing but I offered to book Anita, Nellie, and Hadda Brooks to the
> Sacramento Jazz Festival as well as many other Traditional Jazz Societies
> for
> several years but never even got the courtesy of a REPLY of any interest
> at all
> from any of them.

As most of you probably know, I am not on the music committee for the
Jubilee.  In fact, I disagree with some decisions that are made.  I do the
booking for our monthly Jazz Sunday concerts, which are doing very well.

I'll give Nellie a call.  Haven't talked to her in some time.  What a nice
lady she is.

> Unfortunately Hadda has Passed away now, and Nellie and Anita can't be too
> far behind as they are both in their eighties now.
>
> Maybe it's the old Chick Singer syndrome hanging on :))
>
> Well, Anita is still selling out in New York and Hollywood when she
> performs
> there and her reviews are still great so I simply don't see any excuse
> that is
> acceptable for ANY Jazz Society not to invite them to perform, especially
> if
> you are really into preserving the music.
>
> That is where Jazz Societies money should be going if you want to keep
> attracting substantial numbers of real OKOM Music lovers of the older
> generation,
> and all the while working to attract a younger audience to replace them
> and
> perpetuate the music and your purported mission purposes.
>
> I shudder to think about the future of Jazz Societies as they dwindle to
> Sunday afternoon 78 rpm  scratchy record listenings in somebody's basement
> as a
> BYOB party.  :))

Well, ours, the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society, is certainly not
dwingling away.  We are doing better than ever.

--Bob ringwald