[Dixielandjazz] PROBERT -- PRACTICE

eighthst7 at aol.com eighthst7 at aol.com
Wed May 4 09:19:55 PDT 2005

OK, OK,  I guess I stirred up  a bit of interst in what I termed the Probert
method.  George Probert is (he's still alive and well in Monrovia, Ca.) the
world famous reed player (Primarily
sop. sax)  who played with some big names like Scoby and Ory in California,
and also was a stallwart with the Firehouse Five for many years.  He
continually teaches young players, and also travels the world with his Soprano Sax.  He
played in Madrid one nite with Kash, as did I, and has done a lot for OKOM.
I was lucky enough one day to be chastised by him for what he called
"cheating" in my playing.  After I got through with the shock, he told me to buy a
metrinome with a light on it, and practice scales with different articulations
(EX. the Pares excercises for wind instruments).  I found that this allowed my
"cheating" to vastly go away, and my playing turned into clearly sounding each
note with even continuity and I could stay with the beats.  What a help this
was as I continued to work on a daily basis.  It really did not take too long
only a few months.  So I guess I am the only one who uses the term the
"Probert Method", but I believe in it, and I recomend it for all players, well maybe
not for banjo or washboard players.

Richard Redmond
8th St 7 DJB
Palm Springs CA  (where the stars come out to play).