[Dixielandjazz] New Salty Dogs CD

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 4 00:06:41 PDT 2005

In early April, DJMLer Dick Karner advised us that he had produced a new CD
of previously unissued 'Salty Dogs' material, recorded in the 1950s.
My copy arrived yesterday afternoon and is getting quite a pounding at the
moment.
Great stuff, from a fine 'West Coast' band, whose members were only in their
teens and early 20s at the time.
You will know most of them: Jack Carrell-tpt; Jim Snyder-tmb; Buzz
Reynolds-clt; John Cooper-pno; Randy Wilkinson-bjo; Dick Karner-dms; Bob
Rann-tba.
The stuff on this CD may lack their later finesse, but by gosh there is no
denying the swinging enthusiasm and freshness of youth!
Give me this every time, as opposed to much of the technically perfect,
rehearsed, non-swinging jazz being produced by some of the current
experienced 'professional' jazz revivalists world-wide.
Contact: Dick Karner/2121 S. 6th /Lafayette, IN  47905.
Or e-mail him privately at
  dickkarner at hotmail.com
for the particulars.
You should not be disappointed, if you know 'the Dogs'.
Dick is also producing another early Salty Dog CD, along with early Bob Helm
things he and they did in San Francisco in the '50's, along with some Bay
City JB and South Frisco JB material.
I'm certainly interested in these too and I am sure others on the list will
be.
Kind regards,
Bill.