[Dixielandjazz] Why We Play Jazz Music

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Tue May 3 14:25:41 PDT 2005

Tell that to Leonardo Da Vinci.  I think he sold his art.  Duh! people pay
for art.  No one compromises anything by selling their art.  Zillions are
made every day by the record companies and the artists who make them.

You have to make choices.  If you are going to be a hobby musician then do
it, have a good time and don't regret it.  However if you are an in demand
musician then if you do low cost or freebee stuff then it has to have a
commercial reason.  Example: I rehearse with a community band that plays for
nursing homes and other real low budget community stuff.  Why do I do it?
First I make and musical contacts with other musicians that sometimes comes
in handy.  Second I make sales calls to the directors of those events while
I am there and thirdly It is a practice night to keep up the chops.
Everyone of those three things is strictly commercial.  I book quite a few
gigs annually that way.  If you don't do it this way you will find yourself
working a lot and not making anything.

I use this same philosophy in my commercial art business.  I do a few things
free or at lower cost for charities but always charge full boat to everyone
else.  I find that the freebee stuff pays off for me.  A month ago I did a
free banner and some signs for a former student who has Kidney disease.  The
Ad agency that was handling the whole thing  liked my work and brought me a
job for a Church banner which I discounted 20%.  Today they brought me
another banner at full price that I will make $175 from and they have 2 more
signs that they need this week  It's like playing pool.  You have to line up
your shots and plan where the ball is going to line up for your next shot.
It works the same with music.

I regard the fact that people pay me to do what I do as being a complement.

There are several hobby bands in town that are for the most part OK.  The
only issue is that they sell themselves too cheap and muck up the waters for
those band leaders who are trying to make a buck.  In this case the hobby
bands are selling a less desirable product but that $1000 difference  makes
a lot of difference to the bean counters so who gets the gig.  I tend to
withhold my services from them unless I have a pretty good reason like the
ones I listed above.  Remember plumbers and brick layers don't give away
their services so why should you?

I love to play and I love my art.  If people didn't pay me I would probably
go fishing or watch TV rather than put on a tux and spend the next 6 hours
traveling to and from and playing 3 or 4 hours.  The result would be
eventually an inferior product because I wouldn't be able to maintain my
skills although my wife would be happier about the free time.