[Dixielandjazz] What killed Jazz?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 2 18:33:38 PDT 2005

While Stan Kenton might not be OKOM, here is an interesting set of liner
notes from a newly re mastered Stan Kenton Release, notes by Jordi Pujol

>"The greatest problem was to keep his key men occupied and well paid in
between.(Innovations Tours) So Kenton, far from taking a rest before going
on the road again in the fall, accepted an engagement to play danceable
music, just for weekends, at the Rendezvous Ballroom in Balboa - his "home
spot" with a 19 piece band comprising a number of musicians from his concert
unit. Maynard Ferguson, Shorty Rogers, Buddy Childers, Chico Alvarez, Milt
Bernhart, Art Pepper, Bud Shank, Bob Cooper & Shelly Manne. The Band drew
5,000 paying customers at $ 1.20 a head in its first weekend of danceable
music".

>"Once back in Hollywood, the Kenton band was engaged in late February to play
at the famous Hollywood Palladium for six successful weeks. He made few
concessions to the supposed popular taste for more conventional dance music.

>"At the Palladium we ran into the same old problem. Our following consists of a
loyal minority. When we play what they want from us, those who came to dance
are lost, just plain lost, and we know it," said Kenton."

Was The Bottom Line? Rock & Roll?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone