[Dixielandjazz] Gig Opportunities

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Mon May 2 11:10:53 PDT 2005

In an off list message I told Lily that there were lots of opportunities and
that there is money to be made.  If she books the gigs the musicians will
follow the money.  I told her how great it was  that there was no
competition.  The senior citizen venue is open to the kids.  Maybe it won't
pay much but it's pay.  They don't have to be great either the audiences are
pretty non critical.  What better place to learn the skills.  Around here
there is a building boom in assisted living complexes and they all hire
(when nothing else is available) live music.  The older adults would eat up
a kids group especially if they included a couple of swing dancers for a
little pizzazz.

Kids can no longer play the club scene as I did when I was young and it is
tougher but not impossible. On the other hand the Sr. Citizen scene wasn't
around then either.  I can tell her how to work a single or with another
person if no one else will go for it.  With today's computers, a fair to
good sound system, a little show biz and flash and you don't need anyone
else.

Opportunity knocks.

Larry