[Dixielandjazz] Paramount Jazz Band & Other New England- website?

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sun May 1 09:08:19 PDT 2005

Karen,

The Paramount Jazz Band was a predecessor of the New Black Eagles.
If Tony is reading this, he can correct me, but I'm not familiar with any
band now called the Paramount. (See correction below)
I've been away from Massacusetts for some time (in the more northern
hinterlands of New England.

Ray Smith is listed as  the leader for the Paramount. He is also the
producer and commentator of WGBH's (& NPR's ?)  "The Jazz Decades".
He has moved to North Carolina, I believe, so that may effect when the play
around here..

(Correction:)...........
However, I did find a site for them with a google search. THe Mississippi
rag site points me at http://members.cox.net/paramountjb/
The schedule is a bit slim and I see nothing listed for New England right now.
As to giving your sister a guide to where to hear good trad jazz,
the best place is to go to Marce Enright's great site
http://nejazz.COM
not to be confused with anothe good site (but more commercial) and broader
in the genre's it covers:
http://nejazz.ORG

Marce does not list a Paramount Jazz Band for Massacusetts, nor in any other
New England state and she does a great job of keeping up to date.
Marce is a treasure. She lists the New England Jazz in all of the states that qualify and has
other great info, including links to a number of the good venues, as well.
The Sherborn in has great jazz, not only the Black Eagles and the Blue Horizon Jazz Bands(s)
but they bring in others.
http://www.sherborninn.com/jazz.htm

I don't want to alienate my MA colleagues, but I can't list all the great bands there.
However, I do also want to recommend catching Jimmy Mazzy somewhere -
http://www.siterrific.com/JimmyMazzy/
one place is at the Colonial Inn in Concord MA. I've recently heard the Wolverine
Jazz band
http://www.wolverinejazzband.com/
and they're another one worth catching up with. You'll have to check out
Marce's site for the particulars. And there's loads of stuff around Cape Cod at least from
what I've read.

Regards,
Craig Johnson
Trad Cornet - Kennebunk ME
The Maine Street Paraders & The Fore RIver Jazz Band
http://Mainely-jazz.com