[Dixielandjazz] Trip to New York

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 12:13:57 PST 2005

Hi All,

Been back from the Big Apple nearly two weeks but only just signed back on to
DJML - catching up with everything else!

It would seem to me that New York city and in particular Manhattan has more
jazz of a traditional nature than any other city I have ever come across.
During my nine nights in the place, given that four were spent in theatres
(Spamalot features a wonderful piss-take on the over dramatic jazz diva in one
number!), one was spent dining with friends, one meeting up with the missus who had
just travelled to NYC the long way round taking eight weeks, and one just
relaxing I still managed six jazz gigs. Two visits to Charley O's to hear Vince
Giordano's Nighthawks, and one each to Birdland to hear David Ostwald's Gully Low
JB, 92nd Street Y to hear Kenny Davern, Ken Peplowski, Jon-Erik Kellso, Dick
Hyman, Bill Charlap, and others, La Belle Epoch on Broadway near Washington
Square for jazz brunch with Terry Waldo's Gotham City JB and one non traditional
jazz gig on 8th Avenue when I learnt that a little of a singer called
Roseanna Vitro went a long way! Good support trio though with Joanne Brackeen on
piano.

If one's jazz tastes are fairly wide then there must be a choice of between
15 and 20 gigs every night of the week, even restricting it to traditional and
what us Brits call mainstream gives a choice of four or five.

Now back to the wilds of Norfolk with only one or two gigs per month if
lucky! However I do have the Blackpool Jazz Party and Keswick Jazz Festival to look
forward to providing I get a chance to listen to the music when not selling
my wares.

Also the April edition of the Jazz 'n' Blues Newsletter is just about ready
and if anyone would like a copy when it is please let me know.

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.