[Dixielandjazz] Re: accoustics and the drumer/piano

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Tue Mar 29 23:12:41 PST 2005

I went to a church that had a Christian rock band on stage as a regular part
of the service.  The spooky thing was that all instruments including the
drums (electronic) were piped to speakers above and behind the congregation.
The drummer had to be hearing his sound almost as an echo.  They did have
monitors so that may have minimized the problem.

Pipe Organ players learn to live with a delay. I understand there is a delay
from the time the key goes down and the pipe is triggered and a few ms
before the pipe resonates.  This could be the reason that many of the pipe
organists that I have heard tend to be vague with their rhythm.  I think
they are listening for the sound to come out and get to them.  Are there any
Organists out there?

I play with the Scottish Rite Brass in St. Louis.  We have a very large
cathedral and the pipes are not real close to the organist.  Playing the
brass parts with the organists is always a problem.  Sometimes it sounds
like a Jr. High band and the players in this group are some of the best
brass musicians in St. Louis.  Then add the choir.  It does get interesting
sometimes.  The organist is a fine piano player and has been a pro here for
years.  It's the tricky sound problems and how each musician handles them.