[Dixielandjazz] CLASSICAL & JAZZ MUSICIANS:

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Mon Mar 28 13:26:46 PST 2005

I  understand that if you are left handed you are basically a right brain
person and this might explain why I improv better than read but I can do
other tricks like write backwards and write with my right hand backwards
while writing with my left hand forwards at the same time.  Too bad you
can't make money doing that.

I read fairly well but I really have to work at it and sometimes completely
without warning my reading ability just goes a half a bubble off which can
get interesting.  I don't have to work at improv much and I really wish that
I had the sight reading ability that some of my friends has.  Another friend
who really plays some neat solos won't play with a band unless he gets to
see the book first or go to rehearsals and he played with the Kenton band.
I tend to be a memory player and I really don't like written solos.  I have
some of them memorized like the tenor solo in "In The Mood"  This has some
advantages because I can't see the music when I stand up.

I know you shouldn't generalize about players but there does seem to be a
split between the different types of musicians in what they can do.  I guess
the thing that makes me tired is the condecending attitude that many "legit"
musicians have towards the jazz musicians while many jazz musicians just
feel sorry for the restrictions that classical musicians seem to impose upon
themselves.  Personally I always rebelled at the idea of a conductor
(musical equalivent of Ivan the terrible) dictating every nuance of a piece
of music to me.  I have had a lot of classical training and spent many years
in the AF band (SMSgt retired) so I know what I'm talking about.  I just
don't care for it any more.

I enjoy the freedom to create.  What artist  would want someone to draw the
lines for him and then repeat endlessly the work.  We call those coloring
books not fine art. I don't want lines and I don't want to play music the
same way everytime nor am I about to practice endlessly to be able to do
that.  Having said all that I still try to keep my reading skills up but
will never let it take over my life.
Larry