[Dixielandjazz] SF Jazz Collective/Nicolas Payton

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 09:28:07 PST 2005

Right on Mike:

You said it perfectly, The Entire S.F. Jazz scene is controlled by Mr. Klein
who has always ignored any and all San Francisco Jazz players and groups.
Todd Barkan who used to live here and booked the Keystone Korner, finally moved
back to New York after they killed off the Jazz scene in San Francisco back in
the 70, s.

Many of the great S.F. Bay Area Jazz players fled here because the place to
work dried up and they migrated to New York looking to make it big time.

I find it very funny that when I run into many of these guys in Europe at
Festivals they all hand me a card and tell me how much they want to play San
Francisco and to get booked out of New York because they are not making any money
there because the costs of living just eats up the money from every gig as
fast as they can hustle one and the competition is fierce for the decent gigs
there as well.

The San Francisco Bay Area has been a fantastic breeding ground for many
musicians and entertainers for many years but does not get the respect and
recognition it has long been due.

This so called Jazz Collective is indeed a sham, and although it has great
players, calling it S.F. is a far stretch as not one of those guys could live
here and make a living at that level without the grants, and the Randall Klein
control.

I would venture that the same Politics as Lincoln Center operations are at
play in this situation.

I played in San Sebastian Spain at a Jazz Festival a few years ago with both
Joshua Redman and Nicholas Payton and they were both playing OKOM at that
time.

I have said it before and I will say it again, the WRONG FOLKS are in charge
of the Festivals and Events in the Jazz World for the most part, and they
maintain the attitude of presenting who and what they personally like and want and
the public can just be damned.

They no longer Promote Jazz Music, they simply collect Grants and sponsor
money from folks who don't know any better and PRESENT the names, and yes the
yuppies and local folks show up to see and be seen and have little or no clue
about the music or the artist and really don't care.

ON the other hand yesterday at the S.F. Easter Parade we had lots of folks
coming up to the band and asking us who we were and how to get in touch with us
for future events, I have already had calls this morning for six more gigs for
this year as a direct result of yesterdays performance which was cut short by
the Rain.  The people were starting to get into the music when the rain hit
and I am certain we would have booked even more gigs if we had not had to stop.

By the Way  Saint Gabriel's Was the ONLY BAND and live music hired for this
event, so we have now opened up the door once again for gigs where they did not
exist before.

The People are ready for this music but it is up to us to be creative and
find ways to take it to them the folks in charge of the festivals are simply not
capable or going to do it.

It is time for the REVOLUTION,  VIVA la REAL JAZZ!!!

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band