[Dixielandjazz] SOME classical musicians

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sun Mar 27 15:46:22 PST 2005

Larry said (in part_:
>>First we
>>are more hands on and have a close relationship with our audience the
other
 (the classical) >> players hold themselves above the audience (and all
other musicians too) and
                     etc......

I hate to generalize as much as the above sentence, but it does remind me
that 25 years
ago I move to Burlington VT. Soon thereafter I tried to find some folks to
play jazz
(mainly trad) and was having a hell of a time finding folks who could play
certain
instruments well enough and those that did play those insts. ouldn't play
without a chart.
One day, I had a piano tuner come in to tune our piano. He turned out to be
one of
the first or second chair trumpet players in the VT Symphony. We got to
talking about
trumpet and after a few minutes I told him my plight and asked him if he
knew a good
bass saxophone player who could play jazz without a chart.
His response was that he couldn't help me as he only knew "legitimate"
musicians.
I let him finish tuning the piano that day, but the "mother" was never
invited back to do it
again. (To this day,I have NEVER gone to hear the VT Symphony orchestra.)

Regards,
Craig