[Dixielandjazz] CLASSICAL MUSIC & APPLAUSE (What would Mozart say?)

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 27 06:30:17 PST 2005

AND THEN THERE WAS MOZART'S VIEW ON APPLAUSE:

Mozart writes about the 1778 premiere of his Paris Symphony: ³Just in the
middle of the first Allegro there was a Passage I was sure would please. All
the listeners went into raptures over it ‹ applauded heartily. But, as when
I wrote it, I was quite aware of its Effect, I introduced it once more
towards the end ‹ and it was applauded all over again.²

Most jazz audiences demonstrate their sophistication not by remaining silent
but by acknowledging the soloist/composer's best ideas with bursts of
applause. IMO, if Mozart went to a concert today, he would be totally turned
off by the pseudo sophisticated and frigid demeanor of quiet audiences.

Mozart, an artist who imagined during his creative process a give-and-take
with a responsive crowd would have a hard time adjusting to today's silence.
He might look around for other creative opportunities.

My oh my, how we've lost sight of what was going on when the music was born.
How we haughtily sniff, look down upon those who clap, and totally ignore
those emotions the music is supposed to evoke. All in the name of pseudo
sophistication.

We, of the great WASHED audience have not only completely misheard it, but
worse yet, we cheerfully impose our mistake upon others in the name of
"education". And then we bitch about the future of music.

NO WONDER THE "MUSIC" IS LOSING AUDIENCE EVERY DAY!!!!

"We have met the enemy and they is us." - Pogo

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS: Here's what the Houston Symphony says in response to the question "Is it
proper to applaud between movements?": (Yeah I know, Texan's are barbarians)

As music in the schools wanes and technology and popular culture become ever
more engulfing, symphony orchestras are trying to attract the widest
possible audiences to classical music to ensure we have music-lovers for the
future. Therefore, today's audiences consist of young and old, novice and
experienced listeners, first-time visitors to Jones Hall and subscribers who
have been with us for decades. While we believe in presenting the best
possible musical experience, we also want to encourage spontaneity and
comfort. Applause between movements can be seen as an encouraging sign of
new and enthusiastic additions to the classical music fold.