[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Memorabilia

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 26 20:09:09 PST 2005

Listmates:

Some of us have modern jazz tastes also and for them, the following note and
web site may be of some interest. The background music on the web site
swings its ass off.

----- letter from Joe Termini's daughter.

"My name is Toni Behm and I am the  daughter of Joseph Termini who owned the
legendary Five Spot and The Jazz  Gallery."

"Joe passed away December of 2001 from a brain tumor called a  Gleo
Blastoma. During the last few years of his life, he loved talking about  the
old days and the artists and musicians that filled his head with great
memories. There were times when dad couldn't remember if he had taken his
last  pill, but he remembered in detail every moment of those years. He did
quite a  few radio interviews from our home here in Richmond Virginia, and
we have his  voice and those stories on CD's forever."

"Recently, we have decided to  sell some of the artwork and other
memorabilia (such as the cabaret book and a  letter from Jack Kerouac). My
Mom is now 82 and it is time to liquidate these  memories to provide for her
care."

"Please visit our website http://www.5spotartifacts.com"

"My  son designed it  to help get the word out. Please pass this information
on to anyone in the Jazz world who may be interested."

"Thanks for  your time,"

---- below snip from web site

"As many know, the Five Spot Cafe was also the gathering place for many of
the most important artists of the Abstract Expressionist Era. DeKooning,
Pollock, Franz Klein, Paul Jenkins, and Mark Rothko were regular patrons.
Legend has it that on more than one occasion my father would accept a piece
of their art in payment for their bar tab. As a result our family has a
treasure trove of pieces by these geniuses and we now feel it is time to
offer select pieces of this collection for sale."

---- my observation about the Five Spot (played there two nights, 1950s)

The Five Spot was an incredible place, with incredible music, and incredible
patrons. The few on this list like me, who went there, and/or were lucky
enough to play there will never forget the experience of seeing Monk,
Coltrane, Steve Lacy, Roswell Rudd, Mulligan, Mingus, Ornette Coleman,
Charlie Hayden et al., performing in front of those Abstract Artists and a
mixture of music teachers from Juilliard and Composer/Conductors like
Bernstein as well as the hip writers, and just plain jazz lovers. Those were
fantastic nights during a creative jazz era which will probably never be
equaled.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone