[Dixielandjazz] Re: ARTIE SHAW AND APPLAUSE

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 26 19:08:25 PST 2005

Stan Brager said: >Usually, I reserve my applause for the end of the piece.
Like Shaw, I like to hear the transition from one soloist to another or what
the band is doing. However, if the soloist really moves me or whenever the
soloist is new to the game and can do with some encouragement, I will
applaud.<

Dear Stan,
You took the words from under my fingers.
I am in complete agreement.
As a performer, I also believe in giving instant encouragement via a
spontaneous shout, big grin and nod or a brief exclamation when a member of
a band I am in produces a better than normal solo.
Kind regards,
Bill.
Sorry Anton.