[Dixielandjazz] Names of the notes

Rick Knittel knittelsportland at juno.com
Thu Mar 24 18:46:41 PST 2005

This came from Kirk Perbyl (drums) in Davenport, Iowa

Rick Knittel - JAZZBONE
37 Ship Channel Road; South Portland, Maine 04106-5136
Phone; (207)-741-2407; fax 2409; Cell: (207)-233-3480;
E-mail; Knittelsportland at juno.com; Winter (mid January to mid April)
Office;
7657 Bergamo Ave; Sarasota, FL 34238-4765; Phone/Fax; (941)-924-5186

Subject: Names of the notes

We all know about the issue of Every Good Boy Does Fine as the little
saying to help students recall the names of the lines in the treble clef.
So, to
avoid the inherent sexism, many teachers substitute their own sayings or
phrases.

Last night, one of my graduate students shared the results of her
experiment that involved students creating their own words to aid in
memorizing these
lines...

The one that will not be used in class came from a very sweet, innocent
looking young girl who suggested:

"Everyone Grins Because Daddy Farted."

I, for one, will never think of the treble clef in quite the same way
again.