[Dixielandjazz] Okoboji

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 21 20:00:48 PST 2005

David Richoux <tubaman at batnet.com> wrote (polite snip)

> the city of Spirit Lake is near Okoboji (also the name of a town
> and lake) but the classic jazz spot is "The Roof Garden" at Arnold's
> Park (Lake Okoboji.)
>
> BTW, I am a graduate of the University of Okoboji - my family has been
> going there most every summer since the 1920s.
> It would be a great place for a festival - not too far from Omaha, Des
> Moines and Minneapolis - St. Paul and a great summer resort!

Hi Dave:

Yes, it would be a great place for an OKOM festival. Because that's where
the people and kids are in Summer. No need to ask folks to travel thousands
of miles since they are already there and waiting for some good music.

Glad to see Okoboji get the press it deserves. As you know, and the website
points out, "The Roof Garden" was on the big band circuit way back when. No
doubt similar to other little known stops on the tour. Like the Sunnybrook
Ballroom in Phoenixville PA, or the hotels in Reading & Pottsville PA and
Wheeling W. VA., and many other places across the land.

Those were the days.

Cheers,
Steve