[Dixielandjazz] Slide trombones

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Sun Mar 20 00:15:26 PST 2005

Hello Dick

Sorry about "boring". I'm so used to talking music in Norwegian that I accidently used the Norwegian word for "bore".

I've heard the term "cylindrical" applied to trombones before, but can't really see that it is correct. Ideally the trombone should be a straight instrument (about three metres long!) with a parabolic bore from mouthpiece to bell. This is of course impossible, so the nearest thing is a doubly bent tube consisting of a cylindrical part (slide and pistons) connected to the parabolic remainder.

I'll bow to the majority decision and accept that the slide trumpet is really a soprano trombone.


Bob Smith

More information about the Dixielandjazz mailing list