[Dixielandjazz] Jazz & Poetry & OKOM

Carol Emerich cemerich at woh.rr.com
Wed Mar 16 10:53:02 PST 2005

Charlie asked:
> I've never heard an OKOM jazz and poetry combination. Has anyone out
> there done or heard it?

Yes!   Rick Fay did a CD for Arbors Records, "Rick Fay's Poetry With Jazz,
SaxOPoem".  All the poetry was written by Rick.  Tracks are listed by poem
title followed by song title.  Examples:

Sonnet to Sidney Bechet/Egyptian Fantasy
My Kind of Music/At the Jazz Band Ball
Plum Wine Soliloquy (My Notes to Me)/Swing that Music
For Charles Ellsworth :Pee Wee Russell/Pee Wee's Blues
To Barney Bigard/Mood Indigo.

14 tracks in all, Rick Fay clarinet, soprano and tenor saxes; Johnny Varro
piano; Dave Stone Bass; Gene Estes drums; Doug Mattocks guitar.

The group did a one time live performance at the LA Classic in '93 in the
Hangover Room.  A sincere standing ovation from the fully packed room.

Carol
Long time lurker and listener