[Dixielandjazz] PC gone mad

Bryce, John (CCPS) jbryce at ccboe.com
Wed Mar 16 10:11:45 PST 2005

I'm not sure how to send this message to everyone on the list.

These terms became unacceptable when they became perjoratives.  They were
originally descriptives.

Black Americans originated what you know call OKOM.  White musician picked
it up, changed it and passed it on.  Eventually, it ceased to be OKOM, and
became TKOM (or bop, cool, progressive, fusion, hard bop etc.)

As has often been written, jazz was never pure, it was a mongrel at its'
birth.  But Black Americans did 'birth' it.  So, we owe them.

J. D. Bryce