[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Bimbo" (was "Oriental" Jazz)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 15 21:48:53 PST 2005

Dear Ed,
I seem to recall that we went into this one on the DJML a few years back.
"My Little Bimbo (Down On The Bamboo Isle)" (1920. Walter Donaldson-Grant
Clarke). From the Broadway musical 'Silks and Satins') made popular post-war
by Lu Watters, Clancy Hayes, Original Salty Dogs, et al,
and
"(I'm Gonna Take My) Bimbo (Back to the Bamboo Isle)" (1927. Spencer
Williams-Jack Palmer) recorded by Clarence Williams (Nov 1928) and revived
by various post war revival bands, particularly in Europe and Britain, are
two different tunes.
Kind regards,
Bill.