[Dixielandjazz] "Oriental Jazz"

Don Kirkman donkirk at covad.net
Tue Mar 15 11:58:04 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:11:06 -0500, Ron L'Herault wrote:

>There were also Oriental themed silent movies, I recall a Chaplin film,
>"Broken Blossom" maybe?   I'm sure there were others.   If I'm not mistaken
>there were lots of questions about oriental immigration in the early 1900s.

And Anna May Wong and Sessue Hayakawa (the very same who was
rediscovered a few years back) were big stars in the silents; Hayakawa
owned his own business for a while, and played leads with mixed casts,
much as Valentino did.

Both Mr. Moto and Charley Chan movies drew big audiences almost up to
the start of WW II.

It was a slightly schizophrenic time, with strong agitation against
South and East Asians, but romantic "Oriental" themes in movies and
music selling strongly.  ("Oriental" traditionally referred to Egypt and
the Near East, as has been noted elsewhere in this thread, though
recently some of East Asian background have tried to invoke it for PC
purposes.)

In the US there were more "answers" than questions about immigration in
those days:  1882, the act ending early Chinese immigration (after the
railroads were built and the mines exhausted); 1906, the "Gentlemen's
Agreement" putting restrictions on Japanese women joining the men who
were already in the US; 1913, Alien Land Laws forbidding immigrants
ineligible for citizenship (read:  Asians) to own land; 1924, the
revised immigration law basically ending immigration from Asia (finally
changed in 1952).

And the music played on.

--
Don