[Dixielandjazz] Re: Darktown Strutters Ball

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 14 20:53:33 PST 2005

Dear Charlie,
It was partly the double negative, but also the bit "NOT to play a song like
"Darktown" that's known to be offensive to some Black audiences" which
confused me.
I was unaware, from this long distance, that "Darktown Strutters' Ball could
be offensive to black audiences.
Ella Fitzgerald and Fats Waller recorded it.
However, I bow to your knowledge on this one. You are on-the-spot and have
observed it.
As Ron L has already mentioned, there are various acceptable 'towns' in
cities worldwide. We have a 'Chinatown' here in Sydney, promoted extensively
as a eating/shopping precinct by the Asian community. No PC evident here.
I realise we may have opened the DJML PC floodgates again. Which, believe
me, was not my intention.
I am simply amazed to learn that the song "Darktown Strutters' Ball is
offence to some Blacks,
Very kind regards,
Bill.