[Dixielandjazz] "Oriental" jazz?

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Mar 14 16:35:10 PST 2005

Hi all,

I have been going through my library in preparation for an upcoming
radio show - my theme this time will be "Oriental Jazz" (including
Fox-trots, Rags and novelty tunes) that have that certain "Mysterious
Orient" theme to them. I suppose they became popular around the
excitement of the Rudy Valentino era (and maybe the King Tut
discovery?) but there sure seem to be a lot of them before and after
those years.

Anybody know more about this sub-set of early jazz? ( I am not finding
much on the internet, but I do have some reference books and liner
notes.) Any favorites? I have several recordings by the New Leviathan
Oriental Foxtrot Orchestra and a lot of other groups doing things like
"Hindustan," "Love Song(s) of the Nile," "San" and other even more
obscure tunes. I will post my set-list after the show - probably will
be doing it on March 24th.

TIA

Dave Richoux "The Jazz Parade" KFJC.org