[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dark Town Strutters Ball

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 13 18:27:09 PST 2005

Len Nielsen said (in part) regarding the lyrics to "The Darktown Strutters'
Ball" > I have a copy done by the Boswell Sisters where they sing "when they
play those "Heebie Jeebie Blues"I surmise that this had to do with
censorship............?<

Dear Len,
The explanation is simpler than that.
The Boswell Sisters had a big hit on radio with "Heebie Jeebies' which they
recorded on 3 Oct 1930 (for Okeh) and 27 Aug 1931 (for Brunswick).
Why use "Jelly Roll Blues" when you can plug your own hit?
Their "Darktown Strutters' Ball" was put down on 23 May 1934.
Incidentally, they sing Verse 1.
And also improvise in rumba tempo for a chorus. As you know.
Kind regards,
Bill.