[Dixielandjazz] Darktown Strutter's Ball

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sun Mar 13 18:03:16 PST 2005

I've got it on an Edison Diamond Disk that is from around 1919 or so.
Other than the title, it is not particularly "racist" and it was common
usage at the time.  There were Germantowns and Frenchtowns around as
well.   At least it does not say anything demeaning.   The Edison disk
has a comic intro where the beau calls for his lady who tells him that
she'll be down after she slips on her Chemise, slips on her pearls and
slips on a few other items.  He retorts that she'd be there quicker if
she slipped on the top step!

Ron L