[Dixielandjazz] Violin in Jazz

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Sat Mar 12 15:11:40 PST 2005

Hi Steve,
  While the Bolden band photo shows 2 clarinets other evidence confirms
that he most often had a violin lead. Our experiments
with the 2 clarinet lead  formula have not yet proved fruitful, being
confused about who was doing what, but we did try piccolo lead  (a la
the Eagle band with Bab Frank as leader and Bunk Johnson on cornet).
That was a good sound.
  I did read a comment somewhere that the Creole Orchestra sounded much
like the ODJB
when the latter was not playing hell for leather for recording purposes.
Our current  line up is the same as the Creole Orchestra. Played with
sensitivity the continuous violin lead does not need to be  screechy,
though Shiek's comments sound right on. It can also be very jazzy
indeed in the right hands. The sweet sounding cornet is well matched to
the fiddle's tone.
  Let's have a copy of the wax cylinder  record when you get it.
regards
Dan Hardie