[Dixielandjazz] Gerry Mulligan's Silver Conn Baritone Sax

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 9 15:26:15 PST 2005

Saxophonist Geoff Roach won the bidding for Mulligan's Silver Conn (1930)
when it came up for sale recently. The gold plated one is in a museum. Here
is what he wrote on another list about it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

From: "Geoff Roach" <geoff at geoffroach.com>

It is the silver Conn. It's sitting right next to me. Literally.

It's an amazing horn. A couple of other guys have played it in the few days
it's been here and we all agree it may be the best horn we've ever played.
It's absolutely gorgeous and the projection is incredible. One of Gerry's
mouthpieces came with the horn, but unfortunately it was damaged. It's on
its way back to the Vandoren people in France to see if they can fix it. If
you want to see a picture of the horn, it's the one Gerry is playing on the
cover of the Mosaic Concert Band Box Set and it's on the cover of Lonesome
Boulevard.

Of course, I now need to move into a refrigerator box and live under a
highway. But that's a different story.