[Dixielandjazz] OKOM and kids

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 9 07:15:19 PST 2005

Posted on behalf of David Story in Canada.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

----------
From: "David Story" <daveplaysthepiano at hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:04:16 -0500
To: "Steve barbone"  "Robert S. Ringwald"
Subject: OKOM and kids

For some reason I'm unable to post to the list, so I'm sending this through.
David

I've been participating since the 1980s in youth jazz festivals. We always
paid to participate. For our $$ we performed for informed judges who took
the time to work with the band and its directors in master classes after the
performance. The children had the opportunity to interact with an older
generation of jazz musicians. Some of my fondest musical memories are not
professional but avocationally with these performances. Years later I've
heard from the now adult musicians what a positive experience it was.