[Dixielandjazz] Youth Orchestra -- Youth Trad Jazz Festival

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Mar 8 17:27:00 PST 2005

Steve Barbone writes:

 > For those who believe that Youth Bands are not worth the price of
admission,
> and so they must play for free in order to be heard, note what our
> classical
> musician friends are doing at CARNEGIE HALL.
>
> Not only performing, but commissioning works from YOUNG composers.
>
> Is it any wonder that OKOM languishes when we ourselves do not support the
> mechanism for helping it to grow? (E.G. paying gigs for youth bands)
>
> THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ALL OF YOU "EDUCATORS" OUT THERE.

Steve, What makes you think that the New York Youth Symphony, or let's say,
the individual musicians of the New York Youth Symphony are paid to perform?

 Obviously you are still referring to the Youth Trad Jazz Festival that the
Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society and the Jazz studies at CSUS are
sponsoring for Feb 11, 2006.

See http://www.sacjazz.org

Your negative response to this groundbreaking festival, is astounding to me.
After reading about the plans for the Youth Trad Jazz Festival, you say,
regarding OKOM (Our kind of music), "we ourselves do not support the
mechanism for helping it to grow."  Unbelievable!

As with other academic, adjudicated music festivals with judges and
clinicians, this youth trad jazz festival is part of a learning process for
young musicians.  It is also hoped that it will encourage school music
teachers to
teach their young music students more about early jazz and of course for
school music departments to add the study of early jazz to their
curriculums.

It is expected that most of the bands that will be competing in the
festival will be from schools.  And most of the musicians will not be of
professional quality.  This is part of a learning process for the young
musicians.

Think about it in this way.  Kids study math in school.  They do not get
paid to do so.  They may someday grow up to be a mathematician, but for now,
they are learning.

 They go on field trips.  They do not get paid to do these
trips.

They participate in sports.  Can you imagine a high-school football
player getting paid to play football?

They belong to the Chess club & compete in tournaments.  Do they get paid
for this?

They belong to the swimming team, practice every day, compete in swimming
meets and, if they get good enough, maybe even go to the Olympics.  Do they
get paid to do this?  No.  Sure, sometimes they get help through
sponsorships.

The Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society give scholarships to our youth jazz
camp, award scholarships for music lessons and sponsor a youth traditional
jazz band.  Many other Jazz Societies do the same.

We find that while every young musician who gets music lesson scholarships,
who attends our jazz camp & who plays in the STJS youth jazz band, TNT (The
New Traditionalists), is not going to become a professional musician.
However, they will certainly be made more aware that music was not invented
by the Beatles.

We have 90 to 100 musicians who attend our youth jazz camp every
year.  We do not turn out 90 to 100 professional musicians.  But the kids
have a wonderful time, play with and learn from some of the top OKOM
musicians in the country and go away with an appreciation for our kind of
jazz.

You continually sight Jonathan as being a young musician whom you pay to
play with your band.
That is all well and good.  However, there are very few Jonathans around.
While Jonathan is good, for his age, he has a long way to go.  If he falls
into the trap of believing his own press, and does not continue to practice
and get better, he will someday be a 30 year old fiddle player that is still
playing like a 9 year old prodigy.  This has happened so many times.  Let's
hope it does not happen to him.

BTW- Jonathan is tentatively scheduled to appear at the Sacramento
Traditional Jazz Society in 2006.

One of the ways of raising enough money to put this Youth Trad Jazz Festival
on is to sell business size ads in the program for $50.  I am sure that
larger ads may be purchased.

To buy an ad:

Send your business card sized ad (3 1/2" x 2" camera ready art) and $50
check payable to Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society, to:

Edd Burhans
Creative T's and Things
90 Arden Way
Sacramento, CA 95815

Questions may be directed to him at (916) 927-8858 or
ctees at pacbell.net

--Bob Ringwald
Placerville, CA USA