[Dixielandjazz] on banjos--Lawrence Marrero

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Mar 6 14:55:42 PST 2005

By chance, Bill Huntgington, who understudied Lawrence Marrero in the
George Lewis band in N.O. in the 40s, sent me this comment on the
banjo, Lawrence's approach, etc. Re Alton Purnell, he was indeed the
young turk of the band. On Bunk's Victor (Decca?) record of "One Sweet
Letter From You," Alton even plays quarter note triplets leading into a
strain.