[Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Mazzy's Banjo

anichols anichols at gis.net
Sun Mar 6 09:48:09 PST 2005

I realize that there is only one Jimmy Mazzy and I wonder why. The banjo in
Jimmy's hands can't be anything but a front line instrument. Chord solo's
are nice, and easier also, but Jimmy's blazing speed single note
improvisations are to die for. Why aren't there more banjo players trying
for a fraction of that technique. So when I read that, "If you wish to use
the banjo as a front line instrument, then by all means use a five stringer
picking single notes", I had to ask myself, You mean there are people out
there that haven't heard or heard of Jimmy Mazzy!!

Norm Nichols
anichols at gis.net