[Dixielandjazz] Re: More on banjo's

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Sun Mar 6 07:51:03 PST 2005

John Mumford seems to make the most sense of all the  comments I've been
reading about the many lives and variations of the banjo. The  history mentioned
so far, however, has left out one historical fact I read many  years ago: That
the 5 string was invented in the south by Scots who attempted to  replicate
the sound of the bagpipe; hence the drone string. But I believe it is  played as
all the other strings are. It is truly a much different instrument  than the
4 sting tenor banjo. Anybody care to comment?

Dan (piano fingers)  Spink